Dr. Frank Reith
(Ph.D., M.Sc., B.Sc., B.B.A.)
Australian Research Fellow
at CSIRO Land and Water
and The South Australian Museum
The University of Adelaide
School of Biological Sciences
Waite Laboratories, C/O CSIRO Land and Water
Waite Road, Gate 4, Taylor Building
Urrbrae, 5064, South Australia, Australia
Phone: +61 8 8303 8469
Frank Reith obtained a PhD in 2006 from the Australian National University, Australia, for his pioneering work on the geomicrobiology of gold. From 2007 to 2015 was an ARC Research Fellow at the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Adelaide. In March 2015 he was appointed as senior lecturer in The School of Biological Sciences. Since 2004 his laboratory is co-located in CSIRO Land and Water at the Waite Research Institute. Dr Reith’s research aims to understanding the interactions of microorganisms and trace metals in surface environments. He is leading a multidisciplinary research projects aimed at uncovering the fundamental mechanisms of geobiological and geochemical cycling of gold and other heavy/noble metals in surface environments.
- 2006 Ph.D. in Quaternary and Regolith Sciences, Research School of Earth Sciences, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.
- 1999 M.Sc. by research (50 %) and coursework (50 %), Ecological Microbiology and Geo-ecology, The University of Bayreuth, Germany.
- 1999 B.B.A., Marketing and Economics, The University of Bayreuth, Germany.
- 1996 B.Sc., Geoecology, The University of Bayreuth, Germany
ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS AND EMPLOYMENT
- 2015 – present Senior Lecturer (Level-C, tenured) in the School of Biological Sciences, University of Adelaide, commences 1.3.2015.
- 2007 – present Visiting researcher at CSIRO Land and Water, Program 2, Environmental Contaminant Mitigation and Technologies, Waite Laboratories, Adelaide, Australia.
- 2007 – present Visiting Academic at South Australian Museum, as part of the Mineralogy, previously (2007-2014) Minerals, Microbes and Solutions group co-headed by Pring, Brugger and Reith.
- 2010 – 2015 ARC – Australian Research Fellowship, “Geomicrobiology of Platinum Group Elements”, held at The University of Adelaide (geology and Geophysics) and CSIRO Land and Water, Australia.
- 2007 – 10 ARC Australian Postdoctoral Fellowship (Industry, APDI), ‘Geomicrobiology of Gold’, held at The University of Adelaide, Australia.
- 2005 – 07 CSIRO-Postdoctoral Research Fellow held at CSIRO Exploration and Mining and CSIRO Land and Water ‘Geomicrobiology of base metal and gold deposits in semi arid and arid Australia’, Waite Laboratories, Adelaide, Australia.
- 2001 Visiting Researcher at the RSES Australian National University (ANU), Canberra, Australia.
HONORS, STIPENDS, AND AWARDS
- 2014 Keynote address: From little things big things grow – what about gold nuggets? Australian Earth Science Convention, Newcastle, Australia.
- 2013 Invited speaker: Biogeochemical cycling of Au and Pt – Integrating field Studies, micro-analyses and molecular biology’; Goldschmidt Conference, Florence, Italy.
- 2011 Keynote address: The Geomicrobiology of Gold: Fundamental processes to industrial applications; Goldschmidt Conference, Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2006 CRC LEME Award for contributions to the regolith geosciences from 2001 to 2006
- 2006 Robert Hill Memorial Prize given out by the Research School of Earth Sciences at the Australian National University for out standing postgraduate research and research communication.
- 2004 Bicentennial Gold Endowment88/2004, awarded by the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, AUSIMM, for research into the “Geomicrobiology of Gold”.
- 2003 Taylor & Eggleton Award for overall excellence at the CRC LEME REGOLITH Conference 2003.
- 2003 National Institute of Physical Sciences Student Travel Stipend
- 2003 Conference Stipend by the Australian Geological Society
- 2002 – 06 Australian Government International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS): covering the tuition fees for international students at ANU.
- 2002 – 05 ANU Ph.D.-Scholarship: Suppling a living allowance during the Ph.D. project
- 2002 – 05 CRC LEME Ph.D.-Scholarship: Suppling a top-up of the ANU Ph.D. scholarships.
- 2002 – 05 CRC LEME Research Award: Suppling the operational funding for the Ph.D. research
- German Microbiological Society (since 1999)
- European Association of Geochemistry (since 2004)
- Geochemical Society (since 2006)